University of California, Riverside

BCOE Student Affairs

On-going Undergraduate Research Opportunities

Undergraduate Research

Undergraduate research is a strong tradition at Bourns College of Engineering (BCoE). Students frequently co-author original research papers with faculty. Few other top-tier research institutions can match our commitment to having undergraduate students participate actively in the board range of research under way across the college.

Dr. Myng and Dr. Mulchandani with Students at Undergraduate Research Symposium             Dr. Rodgers explaining research to undergraduate students
BCoE has more than $30 million in sponsored research per year, and boasts some of the most active laboratories in the nation. Our undergraduate have real opportunities to participate in and contribute to the range of innovative work undertaken in these laboratories.

In addition to faculty research laboratories, research opportunities are also available in our College's numerous and active research centers, such as the College of Engineering Center for Environmental Research and Technology (CE-CERT). For example, Dr. J. Wayne Miller, manager of the Emissions and Fuels Research Lab at CE-CERT, recently was awarded the University's Distinguished Research Instruction Collaboration Award. He has supervised or co-supervised more than 20 undergraduates on work like the first comprehensive on-board testing of emissions from ocean-going vessels.

Undergraduate Research provides an excellent training in innovation, which is the central theme of engineering. Undergraduates become part of a team of researchers that includes graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and faculties. This provides important team work skills.

Dr. Yan with his students            Dr. walker with her undergraduate students


More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

College Information

Bourns College of Engineering
A159 Bourns Hall A

Tel: (951) 827-3647
Fax: (951) 827-2822