University of California, Riverside

BCOE Student Affairs

Graduation & Commencement


All students must file a Graduation Application for the term in which they will complete all degree requirements.

Visit the Registrar's Web page for more information on deadlines for submission of the Application for Graduation.

Graduation Application

All BCOE students who are submitting a graduation application should use the online application. You will be required to complete both steps listed on the online Graduation Application main page. Your Graduation Application will NOT be processed if you do not complete all of the steps.


Failure to apply for graduation on time will result in delay of graduation to the following quarter.

If all requirements are complete, enrollment is not required. Please see Graduation in Absentia for more information.


Commencement is the public ceremony that celebrates the completion of a UCR degree. It is held annually in June, following the end of the Spring quarter. Graduates from the preceding Fall and Winter terms are eligible to participate, as are graduation candidates from the spring term.

Though students must be qualified graduates or graduation candidates to participate in Commencement, Commencement participation does not equate to graduation.

A student who is planning to graduate during the subsequent summer term must petition to be able to participate in Commencement. To be eligible to petition to participate in Commencement as a Summer graduate, a student may only have a maximum of 4 courses remaining to complete their degree. At the time of petition a student must be able to supply documentation that they have enrolled in the remaining courses. Any other requests to participate also require a petition to the Office of Student Academic Affairs.


Information is usually sent to Fall and Winter graduates and potential Spring graduates during April. A Grad Fair is normally held in early May so that students can reserve cap and gown, order graduation announcements, and take care of other Commencement-related needs.

Diplomas are available through the Office of the Registrar approximately four months following the end of the term. For details on when they are ready or how to obtain them, contact the Registrar's front counter staff, or call (951) 827-7284.

Further information is available on the Commencement website.


More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

College Information

Bourns College of Engineering
A159 Bourns Hall A

Tel: (951) 827-3647
Fax: (951) 827-2822