Academic Standing

Academic Standing

You can find your Academic Standing for each quarter in R’Web in your Degree Audit, Student Profile and your Unofficial Transcript. Academic Standing categories include Good Standing, Academic Probation, Subject to Disqualification, or Continued Subject to Disqualification.  The Registrar’s Office certifies academic standing and the BCOE Office of Student Academic Affairs reviews academic standing to make satisfactory academic progress determinations.

Good Academic Standing

Good academic standing requires having a UCR grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 quarterly and cumulatively. In order to graduate, a student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and an upper division (major) GPA of at least 2.0.


Academic Probation

In BCOE, if you are not in good standing, then you are in Academic Probation. Academic Probation means that either the quarter or the cumulative GPA fell below 2.0. UCR does not round GPA for the purpose of academic standing.  A GPA of 1.999 means Academic Probation. Summer is not an official quarter.  Earning a GPA below 2.0 in summer may report as some form of Academic Probation in your academic record.  However, the BCOE Office of Student Academic Affairs will not view you as being in Academic Probation.  Contact your advisor for more information.


Academic Probation Requirements in the Bourns College of Engineering

The Bourns College of Engineering extends the courtesy of notifying students of their AP status via e-mail by the end of week three of each quarter.  However, it is a student’s responsibility to know their academic status by reviewing R’Web.  The BCOE notification regarding Academic Probation delivers instructions and directions about the BCOE Academic Probation policy and requirements.  The email includes information about a registration hold preventing changes in current course enrollments and registration for the next term. It also specifies tasks that need to be completed to clear the registration hold. The tasks encourage reflection on circumstances that lead to an academic performance below 2.0 i.e., study habits, use of time, accessing resources, and any other contributing factors. The purpose of reflecting is to identify strengths, growth areas, academic support needs, and resources that can be engaged to improve academic performance.

Important Notes

  • Summer is not an official quarter and has no impact on a student's academic standing from the spring term.
  • Repeating courses in a future term may improve your cumulative and quarter GPA’s, but doesn't change your academic standing from the last term grades posted.
  • For Upper Division students, there is a third GPA—the Upper Division GPA.  This GPA must also be at least 2.0 in order to remain in the major, satisfy graduation requirements, and avoid academic dismissal.
  • Communicate with a BCOE Academic Advisor for clarification.


Academic Dismissal

If a student in the Bourns College of Engineering is on AP two consecutive quarters, the student will face Academic Dismissal. In some cases, a student may petition for an exception to the Academic Dismissal policy. In addition, students with an Upper Division Major GPA below 2.0 may be subject to Academic Dismissal.

Note: Academic Dismissal may not mean permanent separation from the University.  Students who receive and Academic Dismissal may work towards returning to UCR and the Bourns College of Engineering by way of Readmission.  

Resources for Academic Resilience

Students in the College of Engineering are encouraged to take the initiative to utilize available self-help resources to improve their academic performance, and to answer many of their own questions. This is not, however, to suggest that self-help resources can always substitute for academic advising.

Academic advisors are trained in academic success strategies, and well versed in the services available on campus to address a wide variety of student challenges (both academic and non-academic) that may impact academic performance. If you find yourself unable to overcome performance difficulties, or detect a negative trend in your performance, consult your assigned academic advisor.

Please visit our Success Strategies page for more information about resources.


Let us help you with your search