Breadth Requirements

Bourns College of Engineering List of Approved Breadth Courses

In order to graduate, students must complete campus breadth requirements as determined by the Executive Committee of the Bourns College of Engineering. The references included with each section heading indicate the campus’ Senate regulation where the specific requirement may be found [for example: (UCR R6.1)].

To meet ABET standards for accreditation, the Bourns College of Engineering requires that at least two courses used for breadth must be upper division (courses numbered 100-199 at UCR). This depth requirement will be satisfied by taking upper division courses in the Humanities and/or Social Sciences.

Courses must carry 4 quarter units (or more) to satisfy the breadth requirements. Honors sections of all approved courses are also eligible.

While the College may revise the list of breadth requirements on an annual basis, students are allowed to satisfy the requirement criteria with any courses that were on the approved list at the time they were taken, or were subsequently added to the list.

Students who foresee a strong and justified reason to deviate from the list of approved breadth requirement courses may petition the Executive Committee of the Bourns College of Engineering, via the Office of Student Academic Affairs, for permission. Such requests must be submitted and approved in advance of actual enrollment. Requests submitted after the actual enrollment will be considered only in cases of new transfer students and changes of major. All petitions must provide an appropriate justification for the substitution.


IN ALL CASES: Students must note that major requirements may influence the choice of breadth requirements and may dictate which courses are most appropriate as breadth requirement selections. Always consult the list of requirements for the individual major before making selections for the breadth categories below.

On this list, courses are listed numerically by subject area. Courses with prerequisites have the prerequisite course/s noted in parentheses following the course title.

  1. Visit the Schedule of Classes ( )
  2. Select the term
  3. Go to the ‘General Education  Requirements’ field and select the breadth requirement you wish to fulfill


EN stands for Engineering - Bourns College of Engineering.
The other two letter designations are for approved courses for other colleges on campus.

BCOE Breadth Requirement General Education Requirement
HUM-A EN-Hum - World History
HUM-B EN-Hum · FA/Lit/Phil/Rel
HUM-C EN-Hum - Addl Humanities
SS-A EN-Soc Sci - Economics/Pol Sci
SS-B EN-Soc Sci - Anth/Psyc/Soc
SS-C EN-Soc Sci - Addl Social Sci
Ethnicity EN-Ethnicity
Upper Division Breadth Courses EN-ABET Depth

If you would like a course in the HUM (BC) or SS (ABC) category to also fulfill your ABET Depth course you would need to select a course
numbered 100+ in order for it to fulfill both.

All BCOE students are required to meet any pre-reqs that a lower division or upper division course has.

The breadth courses do not need to be taken in any particular order.

Courses numbered 99 and lower are considered lower division courses.
Courses numbered 100 and higher are considered upper division courses.

Your degree audit refers to your ABET Depth as Depth in that section but the literature in the General Catalog and the suggested course plans refers
to this requirement as Upper Division.

ENGL 001C alternatives that will be offered are listed here: 

Let us help you with your search