University of California, Riverside

BCOE Student Affairs

Our People

bourns hall

Mentoring and Advising

There are many people affiliated with the Office of Student Academic Affairs that are here to help you. They don't all do the same thing, so read below to find out who can best meet your needs.

Academic Advisors

Academic Advisors are here to help you by:

  • Providing department-level and college-level advising services.
  • Assessing academic qualifications and progress.
  • Assisting students with quarterly and annual course planning, registration details, enrollment questions, and prerequisite satisfaction.
  • Counseling prospective students on academic requirements necessary to enter the college's programs.
  • Referring students to campus services and resources, as appropriate.
  • Reviewing candidates' eligibility for readmission, special admission, major change, double majors, and minors.
  • Evaluating and advise students in academic difficulty.
  • Acting on student petitions for exceptions to college and/or department requirements.
  • Reviewing student degree progress toward graduation.
  • Advising students of discrepancies discovered in these reviews.

To set up an appointment with you academic advisor or to get information on the hours for the Office of Student Affairs, visit our Advisor Drop-In Hours page.

Professional Development Officer

The Professional Development Officer supports the professional development of our students by:

  • Working with our departments and student chapters of our professional societies.
  • Serving as a liaison with industry and the Career Center in addition to coordinating undergraduate research programs.
  • Supporting and promoting undergraduate opportunities in discovery, inquiry, and creativity-based scholarship through mentored research experiences with our faculties and professionals.

Faculty Mentors

Faculty Mentors provide guidance on what it takes to be successful as an engineering student, and provide suggestions to enable students to gain confidence and self-motivation. This encourages a strong relationship between students and professors in the department.

Faculty Advisors

Faculty Advisors are responsible for consideration of petitions to waive or substitute major courses, as well as other exceptions to the major requirements.

Department Chairs

Department Chairs are have oversight of the instructors and teaching assistants who teach courses at the Bourns College of Engineering. Any concerns that a student may have regarding an individual instructor, or teaching assistant, that cannot be handled directly with the instructor, should be taken to the department chair. Chairs also have responsibility for planning the courses to be offered in any particular term.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

College Information

Bourns College of Engineering
A159 Bourns Hall A

Tel: (951) 827-3647
Fax: (951) 827-2822